Search The Web

Custom Search

Sunday 25 October 2009

Drawing A Blank.

A week ago i posted a blog all about my quest for film footage of bands playing on Hastings Pier:

"HastingsPier & The BBC"
http://andymooseman.blogspot.com/2009/10/hastings-pier-bbc.html

Since then, i've contacted several people in my search for live footage. Including those people suggested to me, gig promoters & even somebody who is researching a book about the live music scene here in Hastings.
So far i've drawn a complete blank. I've even had no luck with photo's, or old gig posters. I'm still hopeful that some film etc will turn up & i still have a few "irons in the fire". So, here's hoping...

But, this got me thinking about whether we will ever have this kind of problem in the future? After all, these days everybody seems to have a digital camera, a video canera, or a mobile/cell phone capable of taking video, or at least photo's.

If you go to a gig these days it seems that everybody is taking photo's, or video of the event. I even did it myself when i went to see U2 at Wembley in August & i posted that footage & photo's on the Internet for all to see.

With the advent of MySpace & then YouTube, every band, whether they be an ambitious upcoming band, or whether they just want to post gig footage for their friends, are posting & sharing it on the Internet.
In years to come, you will be able to do a Google search, or the equivalent & find footage from even the most obscure bands & from every venue you care to search for.

I just wish this option was available for me now. To see footage of Jimi Hendrix & all those other great bands playing on Hastings Pier would bring a huge smile to my face.

Just think what a huge treasure trove of digital memories we are leaving for future generations.
Nothing is lost.
This, of course, opens up a whole different debate. But, that's a topic for another blog, or vlog.

Keep on filming guys & gals.

2 comments:

  1. I was recently thinking about that; how "in my day" they'd search you on your way into a concert to make sure you weren't bringing in a camera or tape recorder.

    Now, I've got all that in my phone, and all they want to confiscate are my guns and knives. Well, if I carried any guns or knives...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken: Yeah, they always take away my guns & knives too ;)
    Things sure have changed. Some bands even seem to actively encourage their fans to record the gigs in some way. It's all good publicity i guess?
    Nowadays it's not usually the band, but the venue that worry about the cameras etc.

    ReplyDelete